ACFIM and AfEONET cohosting the pre-summit for democracy dialogue breakaway session on money in politics
Alliance for Finance Monitoring (ACFIM) and the African Election Observers Network (AfEONet) are cohosting the pre-Summit for Democracy Dialogue breakaway session in Lusaka, Zambia, on money in politics. The session will have in-person and virtual participants.
The pre-Summit for Democracy dialogue is titled: In Defense of Democracy – Citizens Summit on Democracy. It takes place on March 27-28, 2023, under the auspices of the Global Democracy Coalition.
The discussion on money in politics in the breakaway session to be cohosted by ACFIM and AfEONet will be guided by the following sub-themes:
- Commercialisation and monetisation of politics in Africa. How money controls voter consent in Africa
- Cost of politics in many African countries is soaring. What explains it.
- Compliance with political finance regulations in Africa.
- The correlation between political finance, political corruption and kleptocracy in Africa.
The event is also one of the Partners for Democracy Day convenings in the five capitals of the cohost governments namely; Unites States of America, Costa Rica, the Netherlands, Republic of Korea, and Republic of Zambia, that are cohosting the second Summit for Democracy.
Secrets Known reminds you that on March 30, each of the Summit for Democracy’s five co-host countries will lead an in-person or hybrid minister-level regional gathering on a core Summit theme with representatives from government, civil society, and the private sector.
The Government of Zambia’s event is themed around free, fair, and transparent Elections as the foundation of democratic governance. It will feature five panel discussions on:
- Ensuring Electoral Integrity on the African Continent
- Inclusive Participation of Women, Youth, and Persons with Disabilities in Electoral Processes
- Freedom of Expression: The Role of the Media and Civil Society in Promoting Transparent and Credible Elections
- Transparency in Political Party Financing
- The Independence of Electoral Management Bodies and Their Importance in Free, Fair, and Credible Elections.
Less than 25 African governments have been invited to participate in the second Summit for Democracy event in Lusaka.